February 7, 2013
Different side of coin
The author was an observant courtier of Romanoff and yet having being reputed to be quite closed to Bolshevik which on that account i have carefully judged her view.
I will present what i inclined to believe of this book
1. Her acceptance for her hand by Grand Duke Nicholas ( later Nicholas II) due to the fact of her place as 1st lady of Hesse Damstadt being secondaried by his brother marriage to Princess Victoria Melita of Great Britain. The subsequent marriage of Victoria Melita to Grand Duke Cyril gave Alexandra Feodorovna a lot of reason to avenge. ( Cyrill was next to the throne if Alexandra bore no son. Grand Duke Micheal fortified his claimed to throne by his morganatic marriage)
2. Alexandra secret affair with Colonel Orloff. I believe this bcoz as much as Alexandra eccentricities inclined to occultism, no spirit could hold the empress mind to intefere country critical policy unless this spirit is someone very dear to her. The only possible explanation is Orloff was her lover; who committed suicide to reserved her honor.
3. I believed that Empress lack of tact & diplomacy and she sincerely thought this is the right way as her objective is honorable. Like dropping courtiers with dubious reputation from invitation list of palace ball. She done this to cleaned & behave her courtiers but the way its done humiliated them . After all almost courtier had scandal attached. That led to boycott from aristocrat.
4. Her dependance to Rasputin unshakable and this destroyed her country as Rasputin was foreign agent unknown to Her Majesty.This faith led her blind to all tricks played by enemy of Russia.
5. The hypocrisy of Grand Duchess Sergei in assisting Alexandra. The author opinion supported by 1st lady in waiting of Alexandra by other sources.
On contrary some matter i decline to believe.
1. Treachery of Alexandra to German.She hate Wilhelm II like other Queen Victoria grandchildren.She was Empress of empire existed longed before exaltation of kingly house of Hohenzollern. She gained nothing by coorperate with Wilhem II and will loose her empire if German succeeded.
2. Nicholas didnt stand up to defend his imperial crown.
The author in awed of HIM calmness during the signing the abdication decree. The reason he did that was he want to saved russian from being tear by futher bloodshed of internal revolution & his hope that it will bring peace. Futher he hope that Russian will united again to faced the war. In other words, Nicholas II sacrificed his throne for peace.
He didnt abdicate his crown on his son favor after consulting his doctor regarding Grand Duke Alexis health. Upon hearing doctor opinion; he decide to thrust this the crown to his brother , Grand Duke Micheal.
Therefore i held Grand Duke Micheal refusal to ascend the throne as the reason of Imperial Throne of Romanov being relinquished